Here are some of the benefits of buying locally (to make myself feel better about the lemon incident yesterday).
- save on hidden travel costs and energy spent transporting and preserving the product - look at where some of the produce in the supermarket comes from
- home grown hopefully means less pesticides and preservatives
- a fresher product
- label free, free from hidden packaging (bulk wrapping, protective packaging)
- money stays in the community rather than going into large corporations, the farmer is getting 100% of the profits
- helps promote local agricultural diversity
- protects genetic diversity rather than having a particular variety chosen for its long shelf life, high production, has a long shelf life and hardiness. Local plants can be chosen for their own unique taste and may not be available year round.