Monday 5 September 2016

Day 1 - Supermarket

From today onwards I will not purchase and will try to avoid at all costs any plastic. All packaging must be easily recyclable or compostable. So things like cardboard, paper and glass are good.

One blog suggested starting this by throwing out all the plastic you already have but I don't really see the point in that. I have things like containers that will last a long while before needing to be thrown out so I am going to keep them. However, I will not buy any more.

My boyfriend asked why I can't buy plastic things that I reuse (he was 100% thinking about getting takeout) I said the point is that it is not a sustainable material and at some point that plastic thing will break and go in the bin and never break down but if the take out was in cardboard containers it should be fine.  His response was, "Oh good, so we can still get BurgerFuel?" Yes, and even if the store does use plastic we can take our own jars/plates or something to take it away on ... sounds good in theory. Will be interesting to test out.

So first off, of course, I go to the supermarket. Veggies are good most of the time although a lot, and I mean a lot, of it is wrapped in plastic - lettuce, beans, pumpkin! Unless you want to buy a whole pumpkin, but I probably won't eat it all and that's being wasteful. Which goes against the whole idea. Why do they need to do this? Even the stickers on the apples. This is already hard.

The deli section was good. I took some jars and they were happy enough to fill them. I don't eat a lot of meat so that section is for another day

Next I went to Bin Inn in Glenfield expecting them to have cotton bags or something equally reusable to purchase. All they had was plastic bags, plastic jars or horrendously expensive mason jars. So i left there with a jar of coconut oil.

The next thing is going to be making my own bread. Without a bread maker. Goodbye Vogels

No comments:

Post a Comment